Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Toss Up Tuesdays: Florida, Northern or Southern?

Today's the first Toss Up Tuesday which means that I get to pick whatever subject I want to talk about! Here's a high five to myself for self serving introductions, woooo! *slap* Yeah, now that's what I'm talking about. Nothing like congratulating yourself on absolutely nothing.

Anyways, for my first ever TUT (hahahaha, Egypt) I've decided to select a topic that most of us Floridians can relate to: Is Florida a Northern State or a Southern State? And please note, I'm not talking about geography... well, actually I am, but cultural geography specifically.

I was debating about whether to include this whole long spiel on the 500 year history of what is today the State of Florida, but I've decided to spare you on that for now (unless sometime you would like to learn a little interesting history about the state, which I enjoy). Instead, seeing as I'm hoping to build more of a community here, I'll leave it open for you to tell me. So what do you think about Florida's culture? North, South, or something else entirely? If you had to divide the state into two new states, where would you divide it?

In answer to that question, here is how I would do it:


Let me say that I'm a fan of natural borders, so in this case I'd use the Suwanee, Santa Fe, and St. Johns rivers as borders. It's also nice because it maintains county lines.

And as for how I see Florida's cultures:

As for what the colors mean: green = Southern, pink = mix of Southern and beach culture, blue = Snowbird Central, gold = ranching and farming culture, maroon = Caribbean culture

Let me know what you think in the comment section below! Also, if you haven't done so already, follow my blog by clicking the button to the right! It's super easy!

-JT 

1 comment:

  1. LOL'd at the "TUT (hahaha Egypt)" comment.

    Love the picture! :P

    ReplyDelete